Volunteer Woodwork Support - Basildon
- Basildon, SS16 5BP
- Reasonable, pre-agreed expenses will be reimbursed
Papworth Trust is a leading disability charity. Our vision is a world where disabled people are seen for what they can do, and our mission is for disabled people to have equality, choice and independence.
The Papworth Trust Learning Centre in Basildon, Essex, gives disabled adults of working age greater choice over how they live their lives.
People who access this service live more independently as a result of practical training and support and make choices regarding the skills they want to learn.
The centre provides a wide variety of sessions including woodwork, drama, music, arts & crafts, gardening and I.T.
We would like you to provide support and guidance to our clients in woodwork sessions.
We currently have one session leader overseeing a group of people making a variety of items out of wood, using a variety of tools. If one person needs one-to-one support from the tutor then if someone else needs help there is currently nobody else to assist them.
Your support will assist clients to create items they can be proud of, in a safe and supportive environment.
- To support clients of varying abilities one to one and in small groups.
- Ensure all aspects of health and safety are followed.
- Provide instruction and guidance rather than hands on support wherever possible so that clients have the opportunity to do as much as they possibly can for themselves.
- Support clients to develop their confidence in woodworking.
- Inspire customers to do the very best they can with every activity.
- Help the session leader with setting up and clearing away of activity materials.
What we are looking for:
- Knowledge of woodworking and using woodworking tools.
- Good communication skills – verbal and non-verbal
- Friendly and approachable
- Works well in a team
- Able to follow instruction
What you can get out of being a Volunteer
- Become part of a passionate and supportive team.
- Help make a real difference to the lives of disabled and disadvantaged people.
- Gain new experiences and develop skills and confidence.
- Meet new people.
- Spend your time doing something that is worthwhile and rewarding
- Reimbursement of reasonable travel expenses
- Certificated training provided to prepare you for your role
- Day to day support from a designated member of staff
- Have fun!
If you wish to apply for this Volunteer position, please download an application pack and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org, or post to Volunteering Team, Bernard Sunley Centre, Papworth Everard, CB23 3RG. If you wish to discuss the role in more detail, please call the Volunteering team on 01480357321.