Your responses proved that there were still some significant barriers that prevented the ability to travel independently, along with providing us with your suggestions for improving a transport system that is accessible for everyone.
We have therefore made the following recommendations to the Government:
The Blue Badge
- Local Authorities need to have clear rules over who is eligible for the Blue Badge in order to avoid confusion
- The Government needs to make sure that there is enough Blue Badge parking spaces for current holders, before expanding Blue Badge eligibility
- An easy read version of the rules concerning Blue Badges should be published to avoid confusion and misuse
- There should be better signage located near Blue Badge parking spaces so that people are aware of the consequences (fines) of misusing a Blue Badge
- The use of traffic wardens and others need to be increased so that there is better policing of Blue Badge space use
- Audio and visual announcements need to be good quality and regularly checked to ensure that people can see, hear and understand them
- An area of priority seating to be provided on buses that is designated to individuals with visual and hearing impairments so that information is more accessible to them
- Disability training to be incorporated as part of bus drivers' compulsory CPC training (every five years) as an essential requirement
- Introduces key performance indicators in franchise agreements for train operating companies on the delivery of passenger assist to ensure that targets are being met
- Practical training of accessible facilities to be implemented into disability awareness training for transport staff so that they are taught how to deal with the practical needs of disabled people
- A member of staff is to be of assistance at every station, or if this is not feasible, operate a 24 hour help service machine at stations where this might not be possible so that disabled people feel confident that help will always be provided
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any further questions about the consultation response.